In those days he departed to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God. Luke 6:12
Prayer. It is an act of love that anyone can participate in, from anywhere.
We need people praying in 3 ways:
Pray and listen. One of the best ways to help Flint is to know what God is calling you to. What is He asking of you? How are you being called to live out your faith?
How to Pray
If you're not used to praying other than saying rote prayers such as the Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be, start by telling God that this is new and that you're not sure what to say or how to pray. Think of it as a conversation with a friend. Tell God the same things you tell someone over coffee or on the golf course. Just begin by talking to God. Don't worry if you're praying the "right way" or not.
Scripture - It can be daunting.
- Where do you start? I once tried to read the Bible starting at the very beginning. I didn't make it very far. Then I skipped to the Gospels, and then started randomly choosing a different book. This has worked much better for me. Sometimes, I'll start reading a book and find that I'm not very interested in it, or I find that I'm reading it but without really paying attention. If this happens too often, I stop reading that book and choose a different one.
- The Gospels and Psalms are pretty user friendly places to start. I try and read a psalm a day.
- The most important thing is to start. God wants to communicate with us through Scripture.
Other ways to pray
- Lectio Divina - http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/advent/lectio-divina-for-advent.cfm (This link uses specific scripture passages for the advent season, but the guide can be used for any passage).
- Rosary - http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/prayers-and-devotions/rosaries/how-to-pray-the-rosary.cfm
- Liturgy of the Hours - http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgy-of-the-hours/
Praying For Others
Pray for the intentions on our prayer list. Please pray for one, some, or all of these intentions during your personal prayer time, at Mass, with a friend, in your bible study, with your small group, with your family.
Prayer Intentions https://www.dioceseoflansing.org/office-bishop/prayer-intentions
Praying With Others
Pray with the residents of Flint. If, through your personal prayer time, you discern you are being called to pray in Flint, we need people coming to Flint to pray with people. Call me and we can then discern where specifically you feel called - Walking the neighborhood and praying with people we meet? Joining Michael Hasso in campus ministry street evangelizing downtown? Praying with those gathered outside Catholic Charities? Or with those at St. Luke's New Life Center? Do you have a charism for healing prayer and want to join Deb Hawley at the St. Francis Prayer Center? The need is so great. Let love be your guide. Do not be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. You will not be praying alone. We will journey with you.